Bengaluru-based Sai Packaging has invested in its pre-press system in a drive to achieve standardisation on proofing, viewing, platemaking and production via the ISO 12647-2 UGRA colour certification. As Arvind Sekhar of Sai states, “When we have ISO 9001 and other certifications for our processes, how come there is nothing for the most critical aspect of our product – colour?”
|Pre-press - ISO checklist to maintain quality|
• Make sure the files are made with the correct working space (colour settings) in the pagemaking software
• The color setting must be synchronized such that all software ( photoshop , AI,ID ) have the same color setting
• Check and maintain the ambient light in the prepress / area of color correction
• Use monitors that be calibrated as per the ISO standards and calibrate regularly
• Proof must be taken on a calibrated printer on certified proofing paper
• Digital proofer must be regularly calibrated such that the values are within the ISO12647-7 tolerance.
• Proofs must be certified with the media wedge.
• Metameric strips ( light indicators ) to be used to understand the lighting condition
|Press - ISO checklist to maintain quality|
• Check and maintain the ph , conductivity and the temperature of the fountain solution.
• Verify the paper and ink Lab as per ISO 12647
• Regularly check the quality of alcohol used with areometer
• Always tight the blankets with the correct torque using a torque wrench
• Check the blanket to the bearer height and maintain the same as per the manufacturer
• Check and maintain the roller setting regularly.
• Maintain the viewing conditions of the press console as per the standards.
• Print to CIE Lab target values as prescribed by ISO12647 and Compare to ISO for solid color, TVI, and Mid-Tone spread.
• Densitometer must be set to Status E and always do white calibration ,reference white paper when measuring density and absolute white when measuring Lab
• Care to be taken for the backing sheet ( white backing or black backing ) when measuring with the densitometer
• Maintain a standard operating procedure (SOP) for all process