Securipax Packaging installs BHS Ecoline

New Delhi-based Securipax Packaging has recently invested in a BHS Ecoline, a fully automatic corrugated board production line with a capacity of 3,000 tonnes per month. The machine has been running at the company’s shopfloor at Roorkee, Uttarakhand, since November 2023.

13 May 2024 | By Rahul Kumar

Harish Madan of Securipax Packaging with the BHS Ecoline

Harish Madan of Securipax Packaging said, “Within the first seven minutes of the trial run, the speed of our machine was at 150-m/min. This is the design speed of this machine and we were pleasantly surprised and happy.” 

He said the company is currently utilising 50% of its capacity per month. “With existing Chinese machines, we were doing 1,400-1,500 tonnes per month in three shifts. Now, we can convert that in 10 hours with this new equipment ” he said.

He added, “Securipax now offers a wide range of combinations of five-layer boards as now, we have all the flute profiles, namely A, B, C & E. This flexibility opens up quite a few market segments for us. 

In the corrugated industry since 1982, Harish Madan started this business at the micro industry level with a semi-automatic machine in Delhi. Then the company moved to Bahadurgarh in the late 1990s. In 2004, we started another unit in Selaqui, Dehradun, and this facility was started in Roorkee in 2007-8 and consolidated all production at this unit. 

“In 2014, we got into a JV with Kirit Modi of Horizon Packs, which is the biggest company in India in the corrugated packaging segment with pan-India footprint,” he said.

The BHS Ecoline is a fully automatic corrugated board production line with a capacity of 3,000 tonnes per month

Securipax, set in a five-acre campus, with 130,000-sqft build-up area, serves FMCG, retail, personal care, electrical components and consumer durables from here.
Today, JK Papers owns 85% stake in the company. The remaining 15% is with the promoters, the Madan Family, the Wadhwa family & Modi family. The promoters will be running the show as is between one and three years. 

The BHS Ecoline investment was already in process before this deal with JK. “We had ordered the machine before this transaction. The investment was already planned as an expansion and was already underway,” he said. 

On the choice of the BHS Ecoline, Madan said, “We already have two BHS equipment in the group and that gave us confidence. I have been in touch with the BHS team for a very long time due to my stint as President of FCBM and then later at ICCMA, which I head currently as president. The exposure I got due to my wide travels to various countries and visiting many corrugated units, the BHS equipment really held my fancy and I nurtured a dream to own one, in my lifetime. So this was my dream come true, to install this BHS equipment at Securipax.” 

He added, “Everyone in India contemplating expansion or new investment now, is going for bigger deckle size machines but after a thorough evaluation of our customer and product profile, along with geographical consideration, we decided to stay with 1800mm size of the BHS which is an EcoLine model,” he added.

He said BHS team has been supportive. “Our good personal relations with the company and their local as well as international team was another reason to go with the BHS,” he said.

Madan further elaborated that Securipax is a fully compliant unit and takes full responsibility towards social and environmental goals. “We follow the law of the land on all matters including employment and remuneration and are working towards structured goals to reduce carbon footprint and GH gases. Monthly and yearly reduction in the use of natural resources, is a norm at Securipax. We have already ordered the installation of solar panels to cover our electrical requirements. We are currently under evaluation of gold category of the  Z E D Certification by GOI,” he said.