Angela Albert, project manager, GBO, New Delhi, highlighted some crucial to-dos and how-tos for the fair as a part of her presentation. Prashasti Rastogi, director, GBO, New Delhi, was in conversation with Kapil Kapoor, director, Roli Book; Manasi Subramaniam, senior commissioning editor, Penguin-Random House India; and, Mudit Mohini, owner, Vishv Books. The panel shared their experiences of multiple years, and some insider tips and tricks for international business development opportunities at FBF.
The following are some of the suggestions experts came up with:
- From July onwards, write to publishers and agents that you have identified. Book your appointment and meet them at the book fair in person. By end of September, your schedule should be finalised.
- Share stand number information for appointments
- Create a simple covering note introducing yourself, your publishing house and the work you do and include a link to your catalogue.
- For rights & licenses training, create a separate rights catalogue, include key information like number of copies sold, excerpts from positive reviews, author information, a picture of the book cover, a preview of some inner pages for illustrated book and so on
- Increase your reach with social media
- Use advertising options
- Carry enough business cards
- Host event at your stand
- Attract journalists, influencers and bloggers