The beautiful box
The shopfloor manager said, it makes sense, but this would be a management decision.
Five things to consider while designing a corrugated box
1. Unitisation of load wherever possible helps reduce the damages in transit.
2. Adopting performance-based parameters – RCT of kraft paper, ECT of corrugated board and BCT of a corrugated box – while designing a box helps in predicting optimum specifications necessary for the given application.
3. Pallet overhang leads to BCT loss. We have observed that columnar stacking retains more BCT than brick method of stacking. While columnar stacking can be unstable, experts recommend the use of a combination of columnar for initial layers and brick for top layers.
4. In most cases, strapping box damages the box edges and walls. In manual handling, labour tends to use these straps to lift the boxes. Therefore, select appropriate case-sealing methods for the purpose, instead of blindly going for BOPP tapes.
5. Educating people across the supply chain and creating awareness about instructions on the box and best practices is one essential thing to reduce transportation hazards.