Fujifilm showcases ApeosPro C series photo printer at CEIF 2024

Fujifilm showcased two photo printing kits - the ApeosPro C650 and ApeosPro C810 - at the CEIF 2024. The hardware for both printers is the same, except for the printing speed. While the C650 can print up to 65 pages per minute, the ApeosPro C810 can print up to 81 pages per minute.

22 Jan 2024 | By Disha Chakraborty

Centhilnathan L, senior vice president, Fujifilm India

Initially launched for the graphics market, the ApeosPro toner printers have now been optimised for digital photo printing. Since launching in India in February 2022, Fujifilm has installed close to 50 ApeosPro printers, with 30% used in the commercial print segment and the other 70% in the photo segment.

The ApeosPro series of printers integrate a 2,400x2,400 dpi LED print head and proprietary Super EA-Eco toner, with the ability to handle a range of media from light paper to cardboard to embossed paper. It can take paper sizes from 100mm x 148mm to media lengths up to 330mm x 1300mm.

Simplying the features, Centhilnathan L, said, the ApeosPro C series for photo printing is a miniature version of the production machines. “Since it was introduced for the photo printing market, it uses the Super EA-Eco toner with the smallest particle of toner. The smallest particle of the toner can be fused onto any surface in a structured manner, enhancing the print quality. Second, it uses LED technology for the exposure. The LED characteristics are much softer in terms of the radiation of the heat, and the contrast can be controlled better when compared to a laser. It can print on any substrate ranging from 320-340-gsm (grams per square meter).

The entry-level model machines are equipped with a built-in server. However, Fujifilm configured the ApeosPro C series machines with an external print server called the GP controller. “With its fine image quality adjustment function, it maximises the performance of the print engine for generating high-resolution images. Through high-speed RIP processing, fine image data is generated while text, thin lines, and gradients are professionally reproduced. In short, this GP controller helps enhance quality as well as ripping is much faster,” said Centhilnathan.

The ApeosPro series also complies with various colour standards in the printing industry and is equipped with colour sample data of special inks, such as Pantone, to support professional reproduction.

Centhilnathan informed PrintWeek/WhatPackaging? that Fujifilm has developed a compact belt roll fusing unit. "The compact belt roll fusing unit implements two heat rolls inside the fusing belt. Using a fusing belt with a low heat capacity, the fusing belt can be heated using a minimal amount necessary for toner fusing. Also, because of the large contact area between the heat rolls and the fusing belt, the belt can be efficiently and uniformly heated to a given temperature. This makes it possible to print continuously, even on heavy paper, without the fusing belt temperature falling, to deliver stable image quality."

While explaining photos taken on cellphones, sometimes low-res photos, Centhilnathan said that the ApeosPro can process formats such as JPEG or PDF, whether RGB or CMYK." However, it is not a B2C (business-to-consumer) product and does not have an interface to print from mobile devices. It is a B2B (business-to-business) product that requires workflow management."

Centhilnathan also explained that during the Covid-19 pandemic, Fujifilm introduced an a la carte model to simplify maintenance contracts with customers with more than one ApeosPro printer. "Companies traditionally approach the market by offering printers with a certain full-service maintenance agreement (FSMA) or click charges for printer services," he said, adding, "Under this model, customers only need to purchase toner and are charged a spares and service maintenance contract (SSMC) fee that covers the cost of print, maintenance, and bumper-to-bumper service for the entire machine. This allows customers to handle any business without investing in two machines."